After suspension in 2020 and virtual delivery in 2021 and 2022, the HKUST Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition welcomed on-site participants for the first time since 2019 on April 26, 2023. Through three days’ pre-selection interview, eight finalists from three schools/ program offices were selected for the final round. The finalists presented their research, following the 3MT® competition rules, to and answered questions raised by the judges and audience. Both of their performance of the presentation and during Q&A was evaluated by the judges using the 3MT® judging criteria. After an hour and a half’s competition, Usman Bin Shahid, PhD student in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, won the Championship and also the People’s Choice Award. The second and third places went to Yipai Du, PhD student in Electronic and Computer Engineering, and Charles Chaoyue Zhang, MPhil student in Civil Engineering. Usman will also represent HKUST at the 2023 Virtual Asia-Pacific 3MT® Competition.
The judging panel of the 2023 HKUST 3MT® Competition includes
- Prof. Wai Ho Mow, Associate Dean of Engineering, and Professor in the Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering
- Prof Melinda Whong, Director of the Center for Language Education, and Associate Dean of Humanities and Social Science
- Prof. Ralf van der Lans, Director of PhD/ MPhil Programs, School of Business and Management, and Professor in the Department of Marketing
- Prof. Pingbo Huang, PG Programs Coordinator and Professor in the Division of Life Science
- Prof. David Hendry, Assistant Professor in the Division of Social Science
- Prof. Zhongming Lu, Assistant Professor in the Division of Environment and Sustainability